Oats Kheer / Payassam
1 cup Oats
1 tbsp Semolina (Rava)
2 tsp Cardamom Powder
6 – 8 Cashew Nut – Pieces
2 tsp Almond Powder
1 ½ cup Water
2 cups Skimmed Milk
2 tsp Ghee/oil
A pinch Saffron (Optional)
3 – 4 tsp Sugar (To taste)
Method of Preparation
- 1 Heat milk in a heavy bottomed pan and bring it to boil.
- 2 Add almond powder, sugar to the milk and allow it to simmer for 10 – 15 mins.
- 3 Meanwhile, in a separate pan, add ghee and roast raisins and cashews and keep aside. In the same pan, roast Rava and Oats separately for 1-2 minutes.
- 4 Add the above mixture and water to the milk and stir continuously on high flame for 3 – 4 minutes till the oats are cooked. Add more water/milk if required and stir well.
- 5 Remove from the burner and add cardamom powder and saffron.
- 6 Serve hot or chilled as preferred.