Mix-Vegetables Oats Upma
1 ½ cups Oats
1 large Onion - Finely Chopped
1 large Tomato – Finely Chopped
¼ cup Mixed Vegetables (Peas, Beans, Carrots, Capsicum etc.)
½ inch piece Ginger – Shredded
2 cloves Garlic – Finely Chopped
2 Green Chillies – Cut lengthways
1 tbsp Coriander Leaves – Finely Chopped
1 tsp Mustard Seeds
1 tsp Chana Dal (Bengal Gram)
1 tsp Urad Dal (Black Gram Dal)
8-10 Curry Leaves
¼ tsp Red Chilli Powder
2 pinches Hing (Asafoetida) Powder
2 cups Water
1 tbsp Oil
To taste Salt
1 medium Lemon - Optional
Method of Preparation
- 1 In a pan, boil mix-vegetables (peas, beans, carrots, capsicum, cauliflower, cabbage) with enough water and little salt.
- 2 Dry roast oats in a separate pan till their whiteness disappears and they look brownish. Take them out of the pan.
- 3 Heat oil in the same pan and splutter mustard seeds, chana dal, urad dal, curry leaves, green chilies and hing.
- 4 Add ginger, garlic and chopped onion. Sauté well.
- 5 Add chopped tomato & cook for 3-4 minutes.
- 6 Strain the boiled vegetables and add. Sauté briefly.
- 7 Add water to the vegetables and bring to a boil.
- 8 Now add oats, chili powder and salt. Mix thoroughly.
- 9 Cook until the mixture is of tender/soft consistency. Add more water if required.
- 10 Squeeze lemon juice on the top and garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- 11 Serve hot.